Hello my name is Richetta I had LOCs for 12 years

Introduce yourself to the Black Naps community. Share your hair story, your questions, your struggles, let it all out here!

Moderator: Ariane Williams

Rbanks27
How long have you been natural?: 12 years
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Hello my name is Richetta I had LOCs for 12 years

Post by Rbanks27 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:57 pm

I had LOCs for 12 years and decided to remove them. What a journey! It took us 3 months to remove them. Now my hair is free.
Why did I decide to remove them? First I notice that my hair was thinning around the edges because of the constant twisting to tight the first to rolls for styling. Then it was time for a change.
I've never had problems growing hair so my LOCs were very long down to my waist. I've cut them several times during the 12 years.
The end results after the removal was shoulder length hair when stretched out. I've noticed small bald spots in some areas of my head. I believe it will grow back.
I think I have 4b/c hair. I use coconut oil and the Shea Moisture products.

Thank you for creating this forum because most of us don't have any knowledge of how to care for your hair.

nunatural
How long have you been natural?: 5 months

Re: Hello my name is Richetta I had LOCs for 12 years

Post by nunatural » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:02 am

Hi Richetta,

I’m new to the blacknaps community and looking for help with thinning hair after 9 years of locs. I came across your posted and was curious to know if you were ever able to regain thickness in the thinning areas of your hair. I have a couple of areas as well. Thanks
DaShan

niquej
How long have you been natural?: loc'ed
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

Re: Hello my name is Richetta I had LOCs for 12 years

Post by niquej » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi Richetta!

I have been loc'ed for about 5 years, and went natural a year before that. I am ready to remove my locs because I agree with the thinning. I feel as if some of the locs were created with not enough hair. I started off interlocking but went to palm rolling about a year and a half ago. Palm rolling just does not work for me because I work out a lot so, even with two strands or braids, the process doesn't last. I truly do not have the patience to unloc so I'm looking to cut my hair from the point where the two techniques meet. Is that doable???
Monique