Hair Shadowing!

Get real talk about coloring your hair, hair color alternatives, and maintenance tips.
beautywithbrains26
BN Forum Veteran
BN Forum Veteran
How long have you been natural?: > 1 year
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

Hair Shadowing!

Post by beautywithbrains26 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:01 pm

For the past months, I have been obsessed with this blogger/youtuber/instachick NaturallyTash! Here is a link to her youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TashNaturally

Okay so, back on topic. She created this concept of hair shadowing.

First of all, what the heck is hair shadowing?

Hair shadowing is using eyeshadow (most likely cream ones) to temporarily color the hair.

Tash (her actual name is Natasha) is known as the Queen of Hair Shadowing -- not only for creating the concept, but also, she has colored her hair in so many different color combinations and styles without 1. loosening her curl pattern and 2. damaging her hair!

So at first, I was like "this can't be true.." and I have done my research. The eyeshadows are so VIBRANT you'd think it was done professionally.

Most important, it is so safe to use on your curls and coils! It only sits outside the hair shaft, rather than penetrating it and damaging it. And, you don't have to make such a huge commitment!

With feedback from people who have used this method of coloring, they have said that it left their hair still moisturized, and if it did try it, it wasn't so serious that a little product couldn't heal it.

I think the best part about hair shadowing (besides that it's so safe) is that this works on dark colored tresses -- you don't need to have light or blonde hair for this to happen! That's right -- no need to completely damage your hair by bleaching!

I LOVE THIS NEW WAY OF COLORING SO MUCH! I haven't tried it yet because my school doesn't allow colored hair, my mom doesn't allowed color hair and I really plan on coloring my hair when I'm 18 (I've wanted to dye it blue since I was really young).

This is such a great alternative than using the store brand temporary hair dyes (that are honestly for caucasian people) and also hair chalk (which isn't as vibrant, rubs off way easier and literally on everything)

If you don't believe me, go to her channel (which I will provide the link again: https://www.youtube.com/user/TashNaturally) or search it up! Upon my own research, I have stumbled upon naturalistas with different hair types (from Tash's curl pattern to 4C) and it yielded the same results!

Ariane Williams
Site Admin
How long have you been natural?: 10 years
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony

Re: Hair Shadowing!

Post by Ariane Williams » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:55 pm

I have used hair chalks before, pretty similar to shadowing. I love it! :D
Ariane Williams
Editor in Chief
http://www.blacknaps.org

Fionamarvin10
How long have you been natural?: 5

Re: Hair Shadowing!

Post by Fionamarvin10 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:25 pm

beautywithbrains26 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:01 pm
For the past months, I have been obsessed with this blogger/youtuber/instachick NaturallyTash! Here is a link to her youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TashNaturally

Okay so, back on topic. She created this concept of hair shadowing.

First of all, what the heck is hair shadowing?

Hair shadowing is using eyeshadow (most likely cream ones) to temporarily color the hair.

Tash (her actual name is Natasha) is known as the Queen of Hair Shadowing -- not only for creating the concept, but also, she has colored her hair in so many different color combinations and styles without 1. loosening her curl pattern and 2. damaging her hair!

So at first, I was like "this can't be true.." and I have done my research. The eyeshadows are so VIBRANT you'd think it was done professionally.

Most important, it is so safe to use on your curls and coils! It only sits outside the hair shaft, rather than penetrating it and damaging it. And, you don't have to make such a huge commitment!

With feedback from people who have used this method of coloring, they have said that it left their hair still moisturized, and if it did try it, it wasn't so serious that a little product couldn't heal it.

I think the best part about hair shadowing (besides that it's so safe) is that this works on dark colored tresses -- you don't need to have light or blonde hair for this to happen! That's right -- no need to completely damage your hair by bleaching!

I LOVE THIS NEW WAY OF COLORING SO MUCH! I haven't tried it yet because my school doesn't allow colored hair, my mom doesn't allowed color hair and I really plan on coloring my hair when I'm 18 (I've wanted to dye it blue since I was really young).

This is such a great alternative than using the store brand temporary hair dyes (that are honestly for caucasian people) and also hair chalk (which isn't as vibrant, rubs off way easier and literally on everything)

If you don't believe me, go to her channel (which I will provide the link again: https://www.youtube.com/user/TashNaturally) or search it up! Upon my own research, I have stumbled upon naturalistas with different hair types (from Tash's curl pattern to 4C) and it yielded the same results!
thanks for sharing it