where to begin?

Introduce yourself to the Black Naps community. Share your hair story, your questions, your struggles, let it all out here!

Moderator: Ariane Williams

crystalviolet
How long have you been natural?: 12
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily

where to begin?

Post by crystalviolet » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:54 pm

Hi everyone,

So I guess I have had natural hair continuously for over a decade. But, the whole time it has been maybe half an inch long. I first chopped it all off in college; basically I was dead broke and couldn't afford to have hair anymore. Relaxers made most of it break off and stress was making the rest fall out, so I took my last $20 to a barber and told him to finish the job properly. Long story short I have had the same haircut for about 12 years. Every once in a while I think about trying to grow it out, but I honestly don't know what to do with it. The last time I considered it I just googled 'natural hair' to see if I could figure it out on my own. I watched 4 minutes of a video about "pre-pooing" and gave up immediately. Right now I can more or less fall out of bed, run a brush around my head once counterclockwise and walk out the door. I hate to give up that kind of freedom, but on the other hand I am not so young and cute anymore and people are calling me 'sir' a lot more than they used to...

I went to a Christmas party with one of those Dirty Santa gift exchanges and ended up with a pound of Africa's Best hair mayonnaise. I decided maybe this was a sign I should try again. But how though? I don't have any hair products (aside from the mayonnaise), I haven't even needed a comb since I started cutting most of it off. I don't know what type it is (in some spots it's stick-straight but that's because it's not long enough to get to the part where it bends yet) but it is coarse and dry so I'm sure it's 4-something. What should I do first? Does anyone have a simple routine I can start with? I appreciate all the advice, thanks in advance