Dry, dry hair

Introduce yourself to the Black Naps community. Share your hair story, your questions, your struggles, let it all out here!

Moderator: Ariane Williams

NaturallyMeMe
How long have you been natural?: 20 years
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

Dry, dry hair

Post by NaturallyMeMe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Good morning

I need help...my natural hair is extremely thick. I have tried many, many products, yet my hair stays dry. I hate combing it and seeing my hair in the comb. I use a wide tooth comb, use the loc method and typically wear my hair in twists. But most days it is a challenge to get the comb through my shoulder length hair. I have been natural for 4 years...going from locs to twists..any suggestions would be appreciated

WaistLengthNappy
How long have you been natural?: 3 years and 1 month
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony
What's your hair length?: Waist Length

Re: Dry, dry hair

Post by WaistLengthNappy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Use curl activator aka Jheri Curl moisturizers. Talk about hydrated hair! They work very well on type 4.

CamMcG
How long have you been natural?: always natural
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

Post by CamMcG » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:33 am

Try to use the moisturizing shampoos, masks, and conditioners.

HairDivaB
How long have you been natural?: 5
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Post by HairDivaB » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:47 am

I would go first with your diet since it's a big thing for growth and health. Products just help whatever you're doing. I've been using a few products but it seems my hair adapts to it unless my health is good.

Kthepetty1
How long have you been natural?: 10
What's your hair type?:

Post by Kthepetty1 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:46 am

Hey naturallymeme,

There are a few things to consider...
First the only thing that will cure your ‘dry’ hair is to hydrate it, and as we know we hydrate with water. Now I know as naturals they tell us to buy every product in the world but they very rarely suggest tools, I recommend investing in a hair/scalp steamer. Best dry hair remedy, trust!

As for hair in comb, this could be caused by a few things, positive things, you hair is really dense (lots of hair per square inch) and your just shedding per regular. Multiple shedding stands while combing can also be caused by lack of combing daily = excessive strands when you actually comb/detangle. I recommend combing at least once a week with a wide tooth comb working from the ends to the roots.

Buuuuut, If it’s snapping... which is negative, then I recommend add in a clarifying shampoo into your regimen. I like Paul Mitchell shampoo 2 to remove any product build up on the strands. But you MUST add in a really nourishing conditioning masque with protein to replenish the hair . try briogeo it’s natural.

Also when was your last trim. People severely underestimate the benefits of trimming regularly to hit manageability, hairs uptake of nutrients and overall esthetic.

Best,

K