Buying products for your hair?

General Naturalista talk, questions, and answers.
mrsalana
How long have you been natural?: 17 years
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

Buying products for your hair?

Post by mrsalana » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:56 pm

I am doing research for a class and need your help. Can you please take just 7 minutes to answer 5 questions:
1. Where do you purchase your hair care products (online, retail chain, beauty supply, or you make my own products)
2. On a scale of 1-10 how frustrating is your experience when buying hair care products for your natural hair? Why?
3. When buying hair care products for your natural hair online is it less frustrating on sites that have a large variety of products? On a scale of 1-10 what would your frustration level be reduced to?
4. When buying hair care products online do sites where other women give testimonials lessen frustration? On a scale of 1-10 what would your frustration level be reduced to?
5. When buying hair care products online at sites where you could also learn information about taking care of your natural lessen your frustration ? On a scale of 1-10 what would your frustration level be reduced to?
6. Who do you trust most when choosing hair care products? self, you-tubers with same hair type, salon stylist, dermatologist, other

Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 11 years
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Re: Buying products for your hair?

Post by Cientxa » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:31 pm

1. I make my own preparations from raw ingredients mixed with some commercial products.
2. I stopped purchasing hair products because I react to preservatives that are found in most of them. I shop for ingredients to make my own preps. No frustration.
3. I don't understand what you are asking. Please clarify the second part.
4. My online purchases are basically raw ingredients so I am influenced by pricing, product knowledge, and testimonials. Are you asking if testimonials lessen frustration? If that is what you mean, I would say consumer reviews/testimonials are an expected part of online buying since Amazon initiated that trend eons ago. Going to a beauty supply store is a totally different buying experience.
5. Education should be an expected part of using a new product or learning a new hair care technique. I would definitely be more interested in a demonstration before buying. Less motivated to buy something unproven and physically remote online.
6. I have developed a self-knowledge of what works and doesn't through trial and error over time. I have been natural long enough to feel that way.

hairnbyutwriter
How long have you been natural?: 12 yrs.
What's your hair type?:
What's your hair length?:

Re: Buying products for your hair?

Post by hairnbyutwriter » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:45 am

1. I make my own products
2. It frustrates me that store bought products are either mostly water or have the same top 3 ingredients - especially when it's a chemical. For the price, this doesn't always seem worth it.
3. 3
4. 2
5. 2 - if the maintenance is done with the same product
6. Myself and natural cosmetic chemists. :D