Transitioning

Introduce yourself to the Black Naps community. Share your hair story, your questions, your struggles, let it all out here!

Moderator: Ariane Williams

Shaelaalaa
How long have you been natural?: Transitioning
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Transitioning

Post by Shaelaalaa » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:22 am

So I'm excited to be going back to my natural state I think its going to be a great journey. I'm just a little nervous because I suck at styling my hair and keeping it treated so at the moment I'm worried about breakage. Any tips on what I should do to prevent, my comb being full of hair before and after my wash?

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran
How long have you been natural?: 5 yrs relaxer free
What's your hair length?: Armpit Length Hair

Re: Transitioning

Post by Jayla » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:43 pm

Prepoo with coconut oil, do protein treatments (use coconut oil if you're protein sensitive), finger detangle hair before combing or brushing it to get out major knots detangling tools May rip through, experiment with a Denman brush and see if it works for you, detangle tip to root, detangle undera running showerhead/faucet our with lots of conditioner on your head that has marinated for a least five minutes and keep your hair stretched to prevent tangles and ends moisturized, oiled and tucked away to prevent split ends
God Given Coils 'n Curls

Shaelaalaa
How long have you been natural?: Transitioning

Post by Shaelaalaa » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:09 am

Thank you for the tips! I definitely will be putting them to use.

transitionerbychoice
How long have you been natural?: transitioning
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily

Post by transitionerbychoice » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:50 am

pleaase what is the difference btween olive oil and coconut oil
which is bettr

Ariane Williams
Site Admin
How long have you been natural?: 10 years

Post by Ariane Williams » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:55 pm

transitionerbychoice wrote:pleaase what is the difference btween olive oil and coconut oil
which is bettr
Coconut oil is proven to penetrate hair strands, while there is some evidence to suggest that Olive Oil does as well. Both oils are on the heavy side, coconut oil is lighter but solidifies in cooler temperatures (it's temperature sensitive). Which one is better depends on your preferences, I personally prefer olive oil.
Ariane Williams
Editor in Chief
http://www.blacknaps.org

ethiopianjamaican
How long have you been natural?: Almost 8 years.

Post by ethiopianjamaican » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:15 pm

My #1 tip to you is natural is always better. YouTube beauty gurus are your friends. Need to know something? Check youtube, someone probably did it already and explained it all for you lol. And most of all, have fun! Natural hair care is all about trial and error, its a journey and you have to make mistakes and do unnecessary blocked to get to where you need to be. Don't get discouraged, just be thirsty for knowledge and get ready for a lot of work. I've been natural for over 7 years, almost 8, and this year is the first I have a regular haircare regimen down. Wash day once a week, moisturize as needed daily/weekly, and do treatments (protein, rinses, overnight processes) once or twice a month. Protective style as much as you can. Good luck!

Knya28
How long have you been natural?: 1 month

Post by Knya28 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:31 pm

I am transitioning to natural after 30 years of relaxers. I have read and youtubed and I am confident I have made the right choice. I need to know how to wear my hair until it grows out and hopefully is more manageable. I just wear it pinned up in a scarf. I need to know how to wear it when I sleep? I just sleep on my hair in the scarf/hat that protects your hair. I am doing the right thing?

Tjeff
How long have you been natural?: 11 years
What's your hair length?: Bra Strap Length Hair

Post by Tjeff » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Hello, I am already natural, coming from sister locs ,but my issue is, do I do the big chop or continue to let them grow out (i have about 2 inches new growth and not having them re-tightened) trim up from the bottom and meet in the middle. It is also difficult to c what my hair type is. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .pls and thank you

Ariane Williams
Site Admin
How long have you been natural?: 10 years

Post by Ariane Williams » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Tjeff wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:28 pm
Hello, I am already natural, coming from sister locs ,but my issue is, do I do the big chop or continue to let them grow out (i have about 2 inches new growth and not having them re-tightened) trim up from the bottom and meet in the middle. It is also difficult to c what my hair type is. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .pls and thank you

You will not get a full picture of what your hair type is until you have done the big chop. You can grow your roots out to a length that you are comfortable with and do the big chop, I see no harm in that.
Ariane Williams
Editor in Chief
http://www.blacknaps.org

HairDivaB
How long have you been natural?: 5

Post by HairDivaB » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:39 am

Shaelaalaa wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:22 am
So I'm excited to be going back to my natural state I think its going to be a great journey. I'm just a little nervous because I suck at styling my hair and keeping it treated so at the moment I'm worried about breakage. Any tips on what I should do to prevent, my comb being full of hair salon before and after my wash?
Good luck and I agree, I had no issues just moisturizing when I can. Also are you gentle and brushing correctly?