Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)

Get feedback on those products that you have been dying to try or give your review of products you love or those you hate.
Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 11 years
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)

Post by Cientxa » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Vitamin B5 is a vitamin supplement that really does a good job of keeping natural hair moist and soft without oiliness. A similar feel to glycerin but with more staying power. I bought a jar of B5 powder (pantothenic acid) over a year ago and tucked it away never using it until I came across a video on how to mix and add it to hair products this week. Very glad I did. Until I opened my jar and looked at the instructions I had no idea it was primarily a B vitamin supplement to be mixed and taken internally.
All the more reason to add it to my homemade leave-in conditioner and styling gel. I was not disappointed. It works by attracting moisture from the air to thirsty natural hair strands. I don't think I'll try mixing it and drinking it as a supplement just yet though.

Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Re: Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)

Post by Cientxa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:18 am

I edited this post from over 15 months ago because I found some updated data on panthenol and pantothenic acid.
It turns out that panthenol which is Provitamin B5 is a precursor of pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5) which is what I have been using for over a year. According to what I read panthenol is a moisturing ingredient in shampoos, lotions, face creams, etc. that breaks down to pantothenic acid (B5 vitamin) when it is used on the hair and skin. So end result is the same--softer, hydrated skin or hair.
I tried the more expensive panthenol powder in my spritzer yesterday to see if it would work better and it had the exact same effect--soft, hydrated, hair that has that "shiny when wet" look all day. I love this stuff. It's protein and it is good to take as a vitamin supplement as well.
Ethnic hair is problematic in that it does not hold moisture well and can look dry, dusty, flyaway, without lots of product and maintenance.
Vitamin B5 alone will upgrade your hair to a shiny, hydrated state. I incorporate it in everything I use on my hair which is down to the basics. It is definitely the "philosopher's stone" for ethnic hair.

Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Re: Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)

Post by Cientxa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:52 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (322.56 KiB) Viewed 70 times
This picture is how my hair looks with unruly gray edges after using vitamin B5 in my hair lotion. It has taken my hair grooming to the next level. B5 and aloe
vera have changed the way I see my hair. Lack of know-how and knowledge was the issue not my hair.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Vitamin B5 lotion
image.jpeg (314.35 KiB) Viewed 73 times