Need Help:My hair is always dry:(

Get feedback on those products that you have been dying to try or give your review of products you love or those you hate.
JayHasDryHair
How long have you been natural?: 6yrs
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

Need Help:My hair is always dry:(

Post by JayHasDryHair » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:32 pm

Hi! This post is a long one so bear with me guys:) My name is Jahnaye and I am a 20yr old broke college student with perpetually dry hair. I've been natural for 7 years now and the whole process has been up and down for me, but I wont get into that because its a LONG story! For the past year I've been trying to actually take care of my hair , but I cant find any products that work for me. I have 4b/4c hair that is high porosity and possibly damaged(my ends). My hair is extremely thick and full but I can never seem to keep it moisturized, especially my ends.
To give some background on my wash routine, I do shampoo and deep condition every 7-10 days. I also blow dry my hair to strech it. I know heat is a no go for a lot of naturals, but twist outs and braidouts on my wet hair DONOT work for me (shrinkage, single strand knots) and I really dont have time to sit and wait for my hair to dry. Even when I did do heatless stretching on my hair it was just as dry as it is now unfortunately.
Whatever butter, grease, leave in or oil I put on my hair doesnt seem to keep moisturized for longer than one day. I've looked up tons of videos and tried the L.O.C and the L.C.O method but my hair is still dry after a day! Its really getting on my nerves, and I'm not sure what to do anymore. Does anyone know of any extremely affordable products that keep the hair moisturized for long periods of time? Tips/suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran
How long have you been natural?: 5 yrs relaxer free
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony
What's your hair length?: Armpit Length Hair

Re: Need Help:My hair is always dry:(

Post by Jayla » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Hello!
I understand you want to achieve a certain look with braid and twist out styles by using heat, but there has to be some compromise if hydration is what you want to achieve. Try to use heat less, and maybe wash your hair only once or twice a month, extending the life of any heat styles you wear. From my personal experience, after stopping relaxers five years ago, and being that product junkie, Shea Moisture die-hard, and coconut-oil-fixes-everything-from-hygral-fatigue-to-my-bank-account person, I’ve found a minimalist routine that produces favorable results. I shampoo with some organic Nature’s Gate shampoo that’s $5 for 18 fluid ounces at Walmart (I’ll even do second shampoos each wash), deep condition with True by Made Beautiful deep conditioner, and style with the True by Made Beautiful butter. I don’t follow those LOC LCO HIJKLMNOP methods because 1.) I don’t use an oil, and 2.) sometimes, I’ll slap the butter on dry hair, not even water before, no L. My braid outs are the most defined they’ve ever been. Hair is the most hydrate it’s ever been. It’s super soft, and I think because there may be a humectant in the butter, my hair actually GAINS moisture throughout the week (and slowly reverts, lol, but in a cute way where I’ve even gotten compliments on my hair when reverted). I remoisturize with only the butter maybe once a week, if even that often. Plus, I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania...so that says a lot about this moisture retention.
I think those three products I told you about add up to maybe $25, which may seem like a daunting price at first, but they last forever and a day. I honestly forget when I bought them - it’s been that long, and they’re still going strong.
This is what works for me. Keep doing research, because your experience won’t be exactly similar to mine. I’m sure there are plenty of effective, cost efficient methods to cure your moisture woes, but you have to be willing to experiment.
God bless!
God Given Coils 'n Curls

Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 11 years
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Re: Need Help:My hair is always dry:(

Post by Cientxa » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:31 am

If your budget is tight and you need one thing that you can add to your routine that will punch up ALL your products I would suggest you go online and find ProVitamin B5 powder (panthenol). It is something that is in everything you buy on shelf for softer hair and skin. It acts like a humectant and keeps your hair and skin moist. 100 grams of this powder should last you about a year, seriously. That is roughly $14 worth. I found mine on Amazon. I add 1/4 teaspoon to my 8 ounce spritzer bottle, 1 teaspoon to my shampoo bottle. I even use it in my henna pack to cover gray. I don't need all the extra moisturizing products that I used to buy anymore. Another dry hair aid is 50/50 mixture of aloe vera gel and distilled water. Use it instead of water out of the tap that is full of chlorine and fluoride and hard water minerals. I keep a gallon jar mix of it for homemade shampoo, spritzer, etc.