Indigo and Henna for Darker Hair

Get feedback on those products that you have been dying to try or give your review of products you love or those you hate.
Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 11 years
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Indigo and Henna for Darker Hair

Post by Cientxa » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:53 pm

I recently started using henna for my graying temples. I like the way it conditions my hair as it gradually darkens my gray. I thought I would pass on some new information about coloring dark hair that I discovered today. Indigo powder can be used with henna for a much darker color. So far, my gray has turned a light brown which is not the raven dark color of the rest of my hair.
I read that Indigo will darken your coverage if you apply it a day or two following your henna application. I always thought Indigo was something in expensive henna products. However, when I checked my product stash, lo and behold I had some 100% Indigo powder on hand, so I am going to experiment with a 2-step henna/ indigo application.
Henna needs to cure overnight or at least 4 hours after it's mixed before you apply. For best results the indigo application should follow a day or two later. Use conditioner not shampoo to remove henna/indigo and rinse.
You can apply henna/indigo together to save time, but DO NOT add the indigo to the henna mixture until the henna "cures" overnight. Indigo loses its color power if you let it sit overnight like henna.