Type 4 combination Hair products

Get feedback on those products that you have been dying to try or give your review of products you love or those you hate.
KinkyCurlySwirl
How long have you been natural?: 2 mth
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony

Type 4 combination Hair products

Post by KinkyCurlySwirl » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:07 pm

I been natural for about 1.5 to 2 months now and twa has been steadily growing due to a combination of daily conditioning of castor and coconut oil (and some help from hairinfinity). It's healthy and strong with minimal breakage which I expected. Now, because I have all three type four hair it isn't easy to make my curls all pop like I like them. I've used Hawaiian Silk 14-1 along with Hawaiian Silky curl activation (separately as well) but it left my hair feeling like there was residue on it even after it has dried, I recently started using Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream and it looks awesome but I have to use a lot and after it dies I find that it's has this crunchy feel to it. I put a leave in conditioner in it and it looks and feel great afterwards but I was wondering if my fellow Naturalistas has any advice on what products I should use? It'll be a great help and help me to save a lot of money. Thanks in advance :D

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran
How long have you been natural?: 5 yrs relaxer free
What's your hair length?: Armpit Length Hair

Re: Type 4 combination Hair products

Post by Jayla » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:53 pm

Try Sheamoisture coconut and hibiscus curl enhancing smoothie (about $10 for 10-12oz.) or eco style gel ($5 or less for 16oz.). But I will say that since type 4b/4c hair doesn't have natural definition it will be harder to get your curls and coils to clump
God Given Coils 'n Curls

KinkyCurlySwirl

Post by KinkyCurlySwirl » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:09 pm

I have the Au Naturale Dark and Lovely Anti-Shrinkage Cleansing Conditioner and absolutely love what it does for my hair so I bought the (as an experiment) Curl Defining Creme Glaze and the No Crunch Nourishing Pomade and they are doing amazing things for my 4B and 4A sections since that takes up the majority of my head and I also plan on getting Coil Moisturizing Souffle for the 4C parts. I'm hopeful, my hair hasn't felt so light with any other product so far. I hear a lot about the Shae Moisture line of hair products maybe I'll try it once all of these products are done

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran

Post by Jayla » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:00 pm

That's good you have something that works for you! :D :mrgreen:
God Given Coils 'n Curls

KinkyCurlySwirl

Post by KinkyCurlySwirl » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:38 pm

FINALLY! lol

shaeshae
How long have you been natural?: 8mths
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily

Post by shaeshae » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:31 am

I need some homemade reciepes to mix up on my hair can anyone help

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran

Post by Jayla » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:08 pm

shaeshae wrote:I need some homemade reciepes to mix up on my hair can anyone help
I know Naptural85 on YouTube has a lot of homemade recipes for natural hair products, from shampoos to deep conditioners to whipped butters and much more! Just browse her channel to get the deets.
God Given Coils 'n Curls

Jovedr
How long have you been natural?: 10 years
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Post by Jovedr » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:19 am

Sorry for bumping this old thread....just my experience...

I am in my 50's, layered curly hair that will frizz in the humid summer IF I don't take care of it. I'm one of the oddballs where my hair is getting darker.

If you want to go straight away with organics, then just use organic coconut oil. The products already have it in there, anyway. I do this now and then: 5 drops spread thinly on my shoulder length thick curly hair, when it's damp, to get a loose curl. You may have to use 1 to 2 drops if your hair is fine.

Good thing about it is you can mix it with a frag before you put it in your hair.

Coconut oil has lots of benefits, providing your not allergic to coconuts, lol.

I also use "It's a 10 Miracle Leave in Product" (Ulta) I find real good at taming the frizz. Spray it when it's wet wait til its damp, put a few curlers in, wait 30 minutes, and your hair should curl.

For shampoo, it's really anything. But stay away from that Clairol Shimmer Lights, which I used to get the brassiness out of my hair after using too much lemon to lighten it (that's another story, or anything with Keratin.

Those two things will take all the body out of your hair and you'll have literally dead hair.

I hope this helped.