Detangling while wet?

Post your latest hairstyles and get hairinspiration.
kelchristian
How long have you been natural?: Transitioning
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Detangling while wet?

Post by kelchristian » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:49 pm

I have a question, I have always heard never to comb your hair while it is dry and to always comb it while it is wet, while other people I have seen recently say not to comb your hair while wet because it is more fragile. What should I do, comb while wet or not? :| :shock:

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran
How long have you been natural?: 5 yrs relaxer free
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony
What's your hair length?: Armpit Length Hair

Re: Detangling while wet?

Post by Jayla » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:09 pm

This is a toughie, because like you said, wet hair is more fragile than dry hair. But on the other hand, wet hair is much more elastic than dry hair, stretching as much as 150% of its original length, equalling less breakage from that. This really is where experimenting comes in. I know for me that doing light finger detangling under the shower head after prepoo and finger detangling and using my Denman after shampooing under the running shower head works for me. Personally, I can't dry detangle at all because of the breakage, and when wet detangling, I don't like to slather product on to give slip and detangle from there. I feel that i experience more breakage and that my hair isn't thoroughly detangled. Running water helps loosen knots as i go and get out shed hairs. But this method might not reap the same benefits for you. Try wet and dry detangling (don't switch up your products or any other variables so you know it's the method that's working) and see which causes less breakage.
God Given Coils 'n Curls

Mmekom
How long have you been natural?: 2 years
What's your hair length?:

Post by Mmekom » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi!
From what I know, this depends on your what your hair is comfortable with. Do you notice more shedding when you detangle your hair while it is dry? What about when it is wet? For me, I can only really detangle my hair when it is wet. My hair is such a sweet little thing when it is wet. It turns into a viscous monster when it is dry, haha. I also think it depends on the state your hair is in. Is it clean or does it have a lot of product in it? The conditioner that I use by Organix really helps with detangling. If you're interested about knowing more you can go to this link
http://withmycoils.blogspot.com/2015/04 ... riday.html

Also, remember to just go with what YOU think is right for YOUR hair. Do not worry about what other people say you should and shouldn't do.

beautywithbrains26
BN Forum Veteran
BN Forum Veteran
How long have you been natural?: > 1 year
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

Post by beautywithbrains26 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:09 pm

From one 4c chic to another, do while it's wet. Our kinks LOVE to tangle up and get up close and personal with each other and once you let it dry? You are definitely letting those tangles lock in and you attempting THEN while it's dry.. ooo... my head hurts from thinking of all the breakage and pain and comb snapping!

wizmo
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Post by wizmo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:20 am

Hi,

Never comb your hair when it wet as it can easily break and damage your hair. When your hair is half dry use a wide tooth comb and remove the tangles or use your fingers and remove the knots.

NapturalGran
How long have you been natural?: 2 1/2 years

Post by NapturalGran » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:41 am

I have tried detangling both way and I shed very badly both ways...is my technique totally off. I have tried in the shower with conditioner and under running water (now this is the least painful method for me), but I still get a lot of shedding. And my roots OMG!, that is the worst. Trying to detangle every night is a challenge and a headache literally. I have 4a hair, need help/suggestions on what to do?
NapturalGran...Loving the Natural Me!!!

ladee nina
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 3 years

Post by ladee nina » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:38 pm

I finger detangle on damp hair lightly coated with oil. By damp I mean sectioned, lightly misted with a fine mist spray bottle and then I put a few drops of oil, usually either coconut or my JBCO mix into my hands and run them down each section with a praying hands motion. I split each section in half and pin the other half up while I work the bottom section. I separate the clumps with the pads of my fingers, feeling for knots and tangles which I gently pull apart from the bottom until it loosens up enough to rake my fingers through. I mist with water and add more oil to each section as needed, one section at a time. After each section is detangled, I twist or plait the section to keep it from shrinking.

Yes this does take time, but I lose very little hair and this method has allowed me to become familiar with my hair and retain a lot of length.

You said you detangle every night, why? How do you wear your hair? Can you do a style like twists or braids and then wear them for a day or two before untwisting/unbraiding to wear it out for another day or two? Detangling every night sounds like a lot of unnecessary manipulation and wear, which may contribute to your excess shedding and breakage.

wizmo
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Post by wizmo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:43 am

Never detangle your when it is wet because when hair is wet it has the tendency to break easily. Detangle your hair when half dry with your fingers or wide toothed comb.

cillacil
How long have you been natural?: 6 years
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony

Post by cillacil » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:16 pm

I detangle while wet all the time. But I finger detangle. I do it with my deep Condish, then rinse. I do it again with the leave in Condish.

I also wash 2x per week b/c because I follow the maximum hydration method. I alternate deep conditioner and a clay rinse. But I use the leave in always.

wizmo
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Post by wizmo » Fri May 27, 2016 2:33 am

Hi,

Yes. You can detangle your hair when wet with your fingers. that would be the best way to detangle.