No Comb or Brush Hair Styling

Post your latest hairstyles and get hairinspiration.
Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 11 years
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Re: No Comb or Brush Hair Styling

Post by Cientxa » Wed May 31, 2017 9:43 am

IMG_20170531_095605_kindlephoto-26380342.jpg
Easy wash and go; just gel and tie back
IMG_20170531_095605_kindlephoto-26380342.jpg (105.03 KiB) Viewed 513 times
I will be 24 months comb-free in August 2017. This weekend I experienced no detangling snarls for the first time ever since I stopped using a comb and since 2007 when I went natural.
Tangling and knots come from under-hydrated strands! I kept my hair super hydrated all weekend experimenting with homemade gel and the surprise was my ends never tangled or knotted over 3 days.
Not once. I smoothed gel through my hair and ran my fingers through it and if I reached a snarl, it slipped apart effortlessly.
My hair was noticeably hydrated. Silky and moist with gel. Until now, this much product and moisture would have been unacceptable. Too much goo. But that goo kept on working and maintaining definition and brilliance. And when it started to fade I touched it up with a squeeze more.
The result was a game changer for me. After all these years natural I realize I have been rationing moisture as if my natural hair was going to "revert". Natural hair needs more moisture than I have been accustomed to allowing in the course of a day. I refreshed my hair with product after 8 hours.
It was moist, butter soft,tangle free.
And the extra moisture added enough weight to hold its shape.

Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 11 years
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Post by Cientxa » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:12 am

Actually I am close to 36 months now! I did a lot of experimenting "back in the day" lol, three years ago. I steamed my hair, tried protein treatments, etc. But I always seem to settle for less is better.
So lots of hydration, simple cleansing, and I like rice water rinse. My hair is longer and the same thickness. I am happy it stopped thinning since that was my reason for trying the no comb method. I also recently started scalp self massage techniques.

Ariane Williams
Site Admin
How long have you been natural?: 10 years
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony

Post by Ariane Williams » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Glad to hear your having amazing progress. Finger combing only definitely cuts down on breakage.
Ariane Williams
Editor in Chief
http://www.blacknaps.org