Introduction—Just call me FRUSTRATED

Introduce yourself to the Black Naps community. Share your hair story, your questions, your struggles, let it all out here!

Moderator: Ariane Williams

TxNatural28
How long have you been natural?: 4 years
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Introduction—Just call me FRUSTRATED

Post by TxNatural28 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi guys! I have been natural for 4 years. I did the big chop & have let it grow out since then. I usually style my hair in twist outs or braid outs. My frustration is that not only does my hair seem to have stopped growing, it’s thinning! Around my edges, in the front...I can’t even wear a puff without feeling insecure. I have gotten a trim recently & in the past, but that hasn’t helped. I feel like I have helmet hair EVERYDAY 😫 The back part of my hair is thicker than the top. What should I do? I would love suggestions on retaining length as well as moisture.

Ariane Williams
Site Admin
How long have you been natural?: 10 years
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony

Re: Introduction—Just call me FRUSTRATED

Post by Ariane Williams » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:37 am

If you are having hair thinning stray away from really tight ponytails, because it will put too much tension on the area and thin it out even more. Braid or twist extensions would also be a bad idea right now. Keep the manipulation of this area low and nourish it often. Instead of doing twist outs you may want to consider wearing your hair in two strand twists (no extensions/just with your hair) to give your hair some time to grow and prevent breakage.
Ariane Williams
Editor in Chief
http://www.blacknaps.org