New to natural

Introduce yourself to the Black Naps community. Share your hair story, your questions, your struggles, let it all out here!

Moderator: Ariane Williams

Mixedbeauty
How long have you been natural?: 20 years
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Re: New to natural

Post by Mixedbeauty » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:19 am

i agree transitioning is hard i am currently transitioning now from always Applying heat to my hair either way chop or transitioning wear your crown and don't be shamed of it im not neither should you

Rjsmom1
How long have you been natural?: 1 month
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Post by Rjsmom1 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Hi ladies,

I had never considered going natural until my future daughter in law braided my hair (cornrows with extra length) for an Aruba trip I took a month ago. I looked in the mirror and saw myself at 7. I received so many compliments and then I started reading. I realized my natural hair can do everything my relaxed hair could do and more! So, here I go. It's been about 2-3 months since my last touch up. I have gone to my stylist for over 20 years and rarely did anything to my hair myself. I realized when I washed it for the first time in years, I loved the feel of my hair. Even the new growth. I'm so excited to start this journey and can't wait to learn more about taking care of my hair. I'm going the transition route, so I'm sure there will be some days that I won't be thrilled with my hair, but that's okay. It's a journey. Wish me luck!

Love1989l
How long have you been natural?: transitioning

Post by Love1989l » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Hello everyone,my name is Loveth,am about to go for the big chop but my question is this, which cream is advisable for me to start with and also I need a suggestion on a cream that can give my hair curls

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran
How long have you been natural?: 5 yrs relaxer free
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony
What's your hair length?: Armpit Length Hair

Post by Jayla » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:55 pm

Love1989l wrote:Hello everyone,my name is Loveth,am about to go for the big chop but my question is this, which cream is advisable for me to start with and also I need a suggestion on a cream that can give my hair curls
Finding a cream right for you will be trial and error. To make things easier, start with the cheaper cream and work your way up to the more expensive ones if the cheapies don't work. Try something like the Cantu Coconut Curling Cream first, which is like $5. If you don't like it, then maybe try something like Eden Body Works. Then SheaMoisture smoothies, then As I Am butters, and so on. This is so that you don't splurge immediately, cause some find themselves spending $30 on a jar of stuff that's ineffective on their hair and then find out later that their hair LOVES a good product that they could bought 5+ jars of with the $30. I also advise on reading reviews on whatever product you're eyeing before buying it. If you read enough of them, you will get a decent idea of how the product may work for you. It's all just trial and error, but you'll find your staples with time.
God Given Coils 'n Curls

Love1989l
How long have you been natural?: transitioning

Post by Love1989l » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks dear