New to natural

Introduce yourself to the Black Naps community. Share your hair story, your questions, your struggles, let it all out here!

Moderator: Ariane Williams

mrscat21
How long have you been natural?: transitioning
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

New to natural

Post by mrscat21 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:26 pm

I'm new to the whole natural thing. I've been transition for about 5 months now. Even when i was perming my hair i would only perm it every three or four months. i haven't been using heat on my hair at all. when its curly its because i do flexi rod sets,twist outs and bantu knot outs. i just want to figure out how to mske this process as smooth as possible. how do i know whats my hair type. live love smile learn <3

beautywithbrains26
BN Forum Veteran
BN Forum Veteran
How long have you been natural?: > 1 year
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily

Re: New to natural

Post by beautywithbrains26 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:16 pm

We are in the same boat! I am 6 months transitioning on May 8th. And I also recommend to not even bother attempting to figure out your hair type while transitioning because the relaxed ends weigh down the new curls, may making the curl stretch a bit which came make you mistype your hair. What I've been doing is constant protective styling --- I had box braids (the process of getting them = no. the 2 weeks of sore scalp = nope. the week after the 2 weeks where it is so itchy you can't sleep = nope. the 18 hours it takes to take it out = no. don't do it to yourself. I love the look of it but it's so arduous.) and I currently have crochet braids (3 hours installation vs 7 =YES. no soreness or itchiness at all = YES. 20 min takeout = YES. DO IT. DO IT!!!!) I recommend you put your hair in a protective style (or a long term one; i've mentioned two in the previous sentence) such as buns, halo braids, etc. to keep your ends protected and also so you don/t over-manipulate your hair :)

khalis
How long have you been natural?: Transitioning 3 1/2
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony

Post by khalis » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:10 pm

im 15 and ive been natural for 3 almost 4 months i dnt know which hair styles are safe and when I put bantu knots in my head the day after wearing them the curls hve kindof fallin what should i do to my hair if i cant get if braided or something

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran
How long have you been natural?: 5 yrs relaxer free
What's your hair length?: Armpit Length Hair

Post by Jayla » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:03 pm

khalis wrote:im 15 and ive been natural for 3 almost 4 months i dnt know which hair styles are safe and when I put bantu knots in my head the day after wearing them the curls hve kindof fallin what should i do to my hair if i cant get if braided or something
Try doing puffs and ponytails as your hair gets older. Look up hairstyles for second-day+ hair
God Given Coils 'n Curls

Tyto
How long have you been natural?: 1 year and 1 month
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Post by Tyto » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:12 am

My name is Grace, I have been natural for 13 months now but transitioned for 7 months. I have problems with my edges, though they are coming out gradually but slowly. Can anyone help out with what to do to speed up the growth. Tanks.

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran

Post by Jayla » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:23 am

Tyto wrote:My name is Grace, I have been natural for 13 months now but transitioned for 7 months. I have problems with my edges, though they are coming out gradually but slowly. Can anyone help out with what to do to speed up the growth. Tanks.
Jamaican Black Castor Oil, essential oils combined with a carrier oil and ginger have been known to help regrow edges
God Given Coils 'n Curls

Flowerchildv
How long have you been natural?: Transitioning

Post by Flowerchildv » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:15 am

Hi, I've been contemplating going natural forever!! Lol.. Well basically 3 months of stretching I always give up, I always say I want to go natural or do like 6months + of stretching and give up cuz taking care of that new growth is so strenuous for me..
But I think I'm ready to go on the journey I had my last perm in mid August and have cut my hair that used to be armpit length to shoulder length(my relaxed hair) due to lots of split ends and breakage, so I'm currently just a couple weeks post relaxer.
I just wanted extra advise on protective styling etc because box braids have always caused me lots of breakage and damage in the past so I'm not even going to bother. So any advise and suggestions would be very helpful thank you xxx

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran

Post by Jayla » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:41 pm

If you can do simple protective styles like buns, goddess braids or something even if you use added hair you won't lose nearly as much hair in the install and takedown process. These styles will last at least a week. Even crochet braids can be a good option because your hair is only being cornrowed and you can still sport the box braid look.. Just look up on YouTube simple updo styles and whatnot. MyNaturalSistas is a good place to start
God Given Coils 'n Curls

WITTY
How long have you been natural?: ABOUT TO START.
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Post by WITTY » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:15 am

HELLO NATURAL SISTERS, I WANT TO GO NATURAL BUT DONT KNOW HOW TO START, WHETHER TO DO THE CHOP OFF OR TRASITIONING. PLEASE I NEED YOU ALL HONEST REPLY WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO? AND IF I DO THE CHOP OFF IS IT OK TO BRAID AND CARRY IT FOR A MONTH?

Ariane Williams
Site Admin
How long have you been natural?: 10 years

Post by Ariane Williams » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:02 am

WITTY wrote:HELLO NATURAL SISTERS, I WANT TO GO NATURAL BUT DONT KNOW HOW TO START, WHETHER TO DO THE CHOP OFF OR TRASITIONING. PLEASE I NEED YOU ALL HONEST REPLY WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO? AND IF I DO THE CHOP OFF IS IT OK TO BRAID AND CARRY IT FOR A MONTH?
Go with what makes you comfortable. Just know that with transitioning it's a process. Depending on the length of hair you have and what length you want your hair to be when you go fully natural it could take up to a year or longer. With the big chop the results are instant, but it may be a total shocker for you. You can wear braids to help you feel more comfortable and to help with length retention and a month is a good time frame to keep them in for. Just don't get locked into always wearing them, because if you wear them too regularly it can put too much stress on your hair, keep your routine balanced. Blessings on your journey sis.

More about how to go natural: http://blacknaps.org/how-to-go-from-rel ... ural-hair/
Ariane Williams
Editor in Chief
http://www.blacknaps.org