Welcome!

Introduce yourself to the Black Naps community. Share your hair story, your questions, your struggles, let it all out here!

Moderator: Ariane Williams

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran
How long have you been natural?: 5 yrs relaxer free
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony
What's your hair length?: Armpit Length Hair

Re: Welcome!

Post by Jayla » Sat May 30, 2015 3:36 pm

I believe that that http://www.naturallycurly.com has an article on your condition, so you can search for it. Also, it sounds you may be stressed and if this is the case then try looking up some stress relieving activities
God Given Coils 'n Curls

mznikki_g
How long have you been natural?: 2 years
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Post by mznikki_g » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Hey y'all!

I've been natural for roughly 2 years. I have 4C lo po hair. I have to say that it has been a struggle!!!! I get so frustrated to the point where I have just worn crochet braids for the last year. Problem is, I didn't really allow my hair to breathe between each installation. :| Now that I am NO longer wearing crochet braids, I find that my hair is a HOT MESS!!! I am doing my best to wear it in protective styles where I don't do much manipulation at all. I am washing it in twists since that seems to help with the whole detangling process. The ends get tangled so quickly and it really makes me mad! :x My twist outs don't have ANY definition from the time that I take them out. (After being twisted for 3-4 days, it just looks like an afro!!!) I am at my wits end and am quite sad as I wanted this journey to be a happy one! :(

I am here to share my ups (whenever I have some) and my downs, successes (whenever they come) and failures, and get suggestions on what has worked for other 4C lo po naturalistas that may work for me.

Quick question....Has anyone here tried putting baking soda in their conditioner? If you have, did you have any success with it as far as adding moisture to your hair, lifting your cuticle, manageability?

Looking forward to hearing from somebody...anybody!

beautywithbrains26
BN Forum Veteran
BN Forum Veteran
How long have you been natural?: > 1 year
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

Post by beautywithbrains26 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:06 pm

mznikki_g wrote:Hey y'all!

I've been natural for roughly 2 years. I have 4C lo po hair. I have to say that it has been a struggle!!!! I get so frustrated to the point where I have just worn crochet braids for the last year. Problem is, I didn't really allow my hair to breathe between each installation. :| Now that I am NO longer wearing crochet braids, I find that my hair is a HOT MESS!!! I am doing my best to wear it in protective styles where I don't do much manipulation at all. I am washing it in twists since that seems to help with the whole detangling process. The ends get tangled so quickly and it really makes me mad! :x My twist outs don't have ANY definition from the time that I take them out. (After being twisted for 3-4 days, it just looks like an afro!!!) I am at my wits end and am quite sad as I wanted this journey to be a happy one! :(

I am here to share my ups (whenever I have some) and my downs, successes (whenever they come) and failures, and get suggestions on what has worked for other 4C lo po naturalistas that may work for me.

Quick question....Has anyone here tried putting baking soda in their conditioner? If you have, did you have any success with it as far as adding moisture to your hair, lifting your cuticle, manageability?

Looking forward to hearing from somebody...anybody!
Hi! We have the same kind of hair, and porosity. I have a TWA (I'm not sure how to measure it but when I stretch out a strand it reaches my clavicle so I don't know?) I've done my first twist out a few days ago and it was so successful, I'm surprised. What I did was after washing (like right after i stepped out the shower) I ran a tshirt through my hair and got to work. I didn't have to detangle because my shampoo did it for me (i highly suggest it -- it was the Amla Legend Moisture Remedy SHamp & condish) and so I put my a leave in (I didn't even use a curl definer) and started. Just do small twist. before each twist, I'd put on more leave-in, run my fingers through the section (it's only but so big) to ENSURE that its not tangled and then twist. Make sure you let them dry!

If you don't have one, buy a pick. TBH it's my life saver. I don't even have to twist my hair if I don't want to. I can just pick it andd fluff it, slap on an elastic headband (or flat twist the front of my head) and go!

I think the problem with your twists around days 3-4 is that you aren't reapplying moisture. Before each retwisting, wet the hair with water & then add in sure moisturizer (or just mix that in in your water bottle with some oils -- i recommend coconut). Because we have low porosity, we have to frequently apply moisture if it doesn't stay and the cream seals it in too!

I haven't heard of or tried the baking soda in conditioner concept.

omofola
How long have you been natural?: Considering going na

Post by omofola » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:32 am

Hi. I'm new here and I'm considering transitioning. I haven't put relaxer in my hair since Aug 2015 and I'be had braids since January. I'm planning on going natural as soon as I take this hair off and I'm trying to research, and know what to do. I'm still clueless so I need help. Thank you.

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran

Post by Jayla » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:23 pm

omofola wrote:Hi. I'm new here and I'm considering transitioning. I haven't put relaxer in my hair since Aug 2015 and I'be had braids since January. I'm planning on going natural as soon as I take this hair off and I'm trying to research, and know what to do. I'm still clueless so I need help. Thank you.
The number one thing you need to know is how to moisturize your hair. Using the LOC or LCO methods to moisturize you hair after washing it and the using a leave-in and/or water throughout the week in between wash days will keep your hair pliable, manageable and healthy. For the former mentioned methods, L stands for leave-in, O stands for oil and C stands for cream. You apply those products in the order the letters stand in. Making sure to especially moisturize your ends is vital also because it prevents them from splitting, which in turn helps you retain length (if your goal is to grow out your hair) from not needing to trim too much from your hair.
I too recommend getting some coconut or olive oil. If you use either in as a prepoo (pre-wash treatment) and let it work into your hair under a shower cap for 10 to 30 minutes, your detangling session will be a BREEZE and you won't have to go get a rinse-out conditioner for detangling your hair, which ultimately saves time and money. They're also good for moisturizing your hair for the O in the LOC/LCO method.
My final tip is to enjoy the journey for every step of it. Short hair will come and go, awkward length hair will come and go, good and bad hair days will fly by. If you're growing out your hair, you'll see as many have said that time passes and butter length hair will arrive before you know it. Savor each milestone, as natural hair is absolutely BEAUTIFUL at each and every length. Besides, what good is the journey if you're not having fun along the way? If you learn to love you hair no matter the texture, length, coarseness or density, things will be much easier.
Peace!
God Given Coils 'n Curls

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran

Post by Jayla » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:27 pm

Jayla wrote:
omofola wrote:Hi. I'm new here and I'm considering transitioning. I haven't put relaxer in my hair since Aug 2015 and I'be had braids since January. I'm planning on going natural as soon as I take this hair off and I'm trying to research, and know what to do. I'm still clueless so I need help. Thank you.
The number one thing you need to know is how to moisturize your hair. Using the LOC or LCO methods to moisturize you hair after washing it and the using a leave-in and/or water throughout the week in between wash days will keep your hair pliable, manageable and healthy. For the former mentioned methods, L stands for leave-in, O stands for oil and C stands for cream. You apply those products in the order the letters stand in. Making sure to especially moisturize your ends is vital also because it prevents them from splitting, which in turn helps you retain length (if your goal is to grow out your hair) from not needing to trim too much from your hair.
I too recommend getting some coconut or olive oil. If you use either in as a prepoo (pre-wash treatment) and let it work into your hair under a shower cap for 10 to 30 minutes, your detangling session will be a BREEZE and you won't have to go get a rinse-out conditioner for detangling your hair, which ultimately saves time and money. They're also good for moisturizing your hair for the O in the LOC/LCO method.
My final tip is to enjoy the journey for every step of it. Short hair will come and go, awkward length hair will come and go, good and bad hair days will fly by. If you're growing out your hair, you'll see, as many have said, that time passes and butt length hair will arrive before you know it. Savor each milestone, as natural hair is absolutely BEAUTIFUL at each and every length. Besides, what good is the journey if you're not having fun along the way? If you learn to love you hair no matter the texture, length, coarseness or density, things will be much easier.
Peace!
God Given Coils 'n Curls

Caramel73
How long have you been natural?: 10 years
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

Post by Caramel73 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:43 pm

You need to know why you are going on this journey and why you want to transition because this will keep you going when the going gets tough! You are lucky because you are starting your journey when alot of the trial and error has already been done and hopefully because you have done your homework before you have started ie looking on youtube , websites, booksetc, you will be ready.
Because of who you are, your hair is unique to you and be ready for your hair not to behave to the status quo, not to like certain popular hair products or not to work in certain styles. If you want to succeed at this, be prepared to experiment,test and trial and then try again! Just remember lots of moisture and lots of friends and forums to help you on your way!

Kofi
How long have you been natural?: Starting
What's your hair type?:

Re: Thanks for the Welcome!

Post by Kofi » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:46 pm

I might be a little bit unusual here. My interestes are a little different than many others on the forum BUT I can really use your help. My name is Kofi Kyei (Sean Wheeler). I am retired and a resident of Ghana about half of the time each year. My wife - Abena -is an Ashanti woman who is very interested in natural hair/skin products and processes that avoid weaves and chemicals as much as possible. She is young and eager to start a business with a strict focus on "all natural products" and processes that can encourage the young women in Ghana to go the natural way. Eventually she hopes it will become a salon -- "The Natural African Woman".

There is a lot of good information on the net about products that come from African forests and grasslands and have been used traditionally for years. Her question is this! "Are there any schools in the eastern part of the US that train "hair dressers" from the very beginning to use "all natural products" where she might be able to learn "good cosmotology methods" with a commitment to "all natural products". Her goal is to return to Ghana to establish her salon and eventually a school where EVERYTHING is "all natural" and traditional designs are the central focus of each woman's make-up and hair treatment.

I trust that many of you have similar interests to Abena and that you can advise us very well.

COLCANGEE
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 9 years
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair

Post by COLCANGEE » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:00 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Colette and I have been natural for about 14 years in total; for the first five years I did a big chop and then went around with 1 inch short hair that could only be styled with a rat tail comb and black gel! I relaxed (processed/straightened) my hair 10 years ago when I moved to Jamaica, thinking I wouldn't find a good hairdresser when I came here. Was I ever wrong!! It seemed like every other person was going natural at the same time as I was I got married a year after that and went natural again. I've been that way ever since. I enjoy these forums and see them as a chance to learn more about my hair, myself and to share what I have learnt over the years. It's gonna be nice:) Thanks Ariane!

Colette :D

nesha0113
How long have you been natural?: 1 month

Post by nesha0113 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:54 am

Hey everyone I am new to this. I recently did the big chop but I got more cut off the back than top. My top just naturally curls when I wash it but the back doesnt, what is the best product to use and how often should i wash my hair