My Natural Hair Story

Introduce yourself to the Black Naps community. Share your hair story, your questions, your struggles, let it all out here!

Moderator: Ariane Williams

gejaeger300
How long have you been natural?: 4 yrs
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

My Natural Hair Story

Post by gejaeger300 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:28 am

I have been natural for about 4 years. I actually shaved my head down to about .5 inch. My hair is about 6-7 inches long and I am 62 years old and graying. I have 3 daughters that all have long beautiful hair and my oldest insists that I have cut my hair and she if frustrated with me. I am glad that my kids all have long hair but I am so frustrated with mine. I have major shedding and shrinkage, I do trim my hair but it just breaks unevenly and splits. I work above an Ulta store and I went down to see if she could type my hair. She told me I am a 3C and definitely not a 4c by any stretch of the imagination. This makes sense to me and explains the breakage. I try not to manipulate my hair and I usually go a week without bothering it. I think that the products I use aren't good for my hair, but I'm having trouble putting together a regimen. I have the type of hair that after washing and putting on the right products, it should retain it's moisture and bounce. The only products that seem to work on my hair is Lustersilk's Curl Activator and Shea Motion Coconut & Hibiscus product line. I also like the Wildroot Oil. If my hair wouldn't break and get so dry, I could achieve the length that I want. I just want shoulder length. My daughters are almost waist length. I think some of my problem is also related to my graying. I do take a multivitamin and extra D and E. I also finger detangle with pre-poo and wash with my hair in twists. Any other suggestions? Really frustrated and close to another shaving.