Struggling with natural hair

Introduce yourself to the Black Naps community. Share your hair story, your questions, your struggles, let it all out here!

Moderator: Ariane Williams

nekoda
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily

Struggling with natural hair

Post by nekoda » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:10 pm

My name is Nekoda , 21 years old.

I'm not going to go too into details but I have STRUGGLED with my natural hair for about 2-3 years. Stress is a major factor in my life, I am also a full time student. I am tired of wearing wigs, braids only seem to snatch my hair from my scalp. I have high porosity 4c texture hair. Another downside to why my hair is not growing is because I live in Colorado Springs, a DRY, LOW MOISTURE State. Its the summer time now and I really wanna grow my hair. Please help me, I have NO support from my mother, she paid to get me a 85$ wig because she told me she hated naturals. I will attach pictures of my hair as standing today. I have no routine because I really do not kno what my hair response well with, It breaks off as soon as I see results. I had my big cop 2 months ago in March for the first time. I loved my hair short it fit my face, I felt confident.

I try to be active at least 1-2 days a week by running or body strength building. I have a pretty healthy diet, (beside my occasional Burger King trips) I eat protein daily, I do not use alot of canola oil (grape seed oil, coconut oils what i use) for cooking, I fit in fruits and veggies daily!

This is a real call for saving, I hate my hair as it is right now, but I kno it has potential.

Thank you for the support you provide young melaninated women and men everywhere!

Ariane Williams
Site Admin
How long have you been natural?: 10 years
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony

Re: Struggling with natural hair

Post by Ariane Williams » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:16 pm

Stress will do you no good, Nekoda. Although I know at times we don't always have total control over how we feel.
Try doing more simple protective styles like two strand twists or finger coils with your real hair. It will make the maintenance of your hair easier and help you retain moisture longer. Avoid putting too much tension on your edges to avoid breakage. I did notice some thinning. Also you want to really provide them with a lot of nourishment and moisture, so when you moisturize pay close attention to this area, as well as the ends of your hair. I hope this helps, feel free to reach out anytime!
Ariane Williams
Editor in Chief
http://www.blacknaps.org

jackmash
How long have you been natural?: 8
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony
What's your hair length?: Waist Length

Re: Struggling with natural hair

Post by jackmash » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:55 am

Hello nekoda,
Nice to meet you.
I am not a hair expert. Just a newbie here. But I like to share something with you.
If you are going natural, or if you already have, coconut oil is something that will help you in long run. Apply it on your scalp and at the edges of your hair. The hair will split at the edges if it is dry. Coconut oil is one of the best natural ways to prevent it.
Also, hit the gym. Exercise regularly. Sleep for a good time. Avoid stress (I know it is easier to say than done). Trust it me, it will help you better than anything else.