How to soften coarse hair

This forum is dedicated to ladies with short and tapered styles. Get advice for styling and maintenance here.
Catherine Emmy
How long have you been natural?: going natural
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily

How to soften coarse hair

Post by Catherine Emmy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:19 am

I have coarse hair. Its even more coarse after washing and drying. Such that I can't comb it.
What should I do to make it softer, please?

Jayla
BN Forum Super Veteran
BN Forum Super Veteran
How long have you been natural?: 4 yrs post relaxer
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony
What's your hair length?: Mid Back Length

Re: How to soften coarse hair

Post by Jayla » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:00 pm

Hot oil treatments, regular deep conditioning and moisturizing and sealing on a regular basis are pretty surefire ways to keep your coils soft. You can even use the green house method (GHE - where before bed you spritz your hair with water, lightly apply oil to your hair and scalp, put a shower cap on your heead and sleep with it over night) to wake up to soft, hydrated hair. But if you're not combing your hair to get out shredded hairs and prevent matting, then that could be a reason for the lack of softness and managability.
God Given Coils 'n Curls

beautywithbrains26
BN Forum Veteran
BN Forum Veteran
How long have you been natural?: > 1 year
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

Post by beautywithbrains26 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:40 pm

If you are newly natural, your hair will be like that for about 2-3 months. I have 4C hair, and when people would be like "water is a blessing" or whatever, i used to be so confused. Aloe vera juice was the only thing that would give it a little moisture. Now, water freaking MELTS my kinks and they feel like butter as soon as water hits it. Such softness -- that I tried to achieve with thinks like Miss Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls (it made it soft, and it still does, but damn, $23?!?!?). If you be patient enough and keep nurturing your hair, it will adjust to normal, I promise!

ladee nina
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 3 years
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Post by ladee nina » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Don't skip out on your deep conditioning sessions, they are very important to helping your hair retain moisture, which will make it soft. Shea Moisture has a wide variety of deep conditioners that will help add moisture. Or you can go the DIY route and make your own. Do some research and try to mix in both penetrating and sealing oils to help hold in the moisture your hair receives during your wash session. I like to use avocados, bananas and mangos in my DC, they make my hair so soft.
I also use honey and olive oil as a my pre-poo, warming it up and applying liberally to damp detangled hair and letting it sit for 30 minutes before washing. It makes my hair so soft and shiny, and following up with my DIY DC and sealing with sweet almond oil keeps the moisture in for days.

janecia
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 2 years

Post by janecia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:19 am

I completely understand I felt the same way and I have 4c type hair. What I started doing is moisturizing my scalp at night(when necessary) and putting on a shower cap and leaving it on while I sleep. Sometimes I put my bonnet on top of the shower cap but that really helped with coarse, dry, brittle hair

DeJarnira
How long have you been natural?: 11 months

Post by DeJarnira » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:41 am

:) good idea