Why Does Wax Get Such a Bad Rap?

Get feedback on those products that you have been dying to try or give your review of products you love or those you hate.
Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 9 years
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Why Does Wax Get Such a Bad Rap?

Post by Cientxa » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:33 pm

I have read some horror stories about beeswax and carnauba on blogs recently. All of the bad reviews actually piqued my curiosity, so forewarned I decided to pull out my jar of beeswax cream and start experimenting. I have used it to roller set my hair and it worked fine. Nice hold, soft curls. But I had read that it was almost impossible to shampoo out, leaves a dull caste to hair, blocks out moisture.
What I discovered is the wax defined my curl pattern better than anything I had ever used after a shampoo and conditioner. AND as the week wore on my hair stayed stretched. I used it only once between shampoos, since the common complaint was it would take a lot of effort to get build-up out of your hair.
It is truly doing a good job of keeping my hair frizz and tangle free.

Ariane Williams
Site Admin
How long have you been natural?: 10 years
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony

Re: Why Does Wax Get Such a Bad Rap?

Post by Ariane Williams » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:00 am

It most likely gets a bad rep because it is a heavy product and can cause buildup. However, that doesn't mean it is bad. Just don't over do it if you use a waxy product when you apply it to your hair and you should be fine. The only time I would recommend not using wax is if you have dreadlocks because then it will be difficult to remove the product buildup from your hair.
Ariane Williams
Editor in Chief
http://www.blacknaps.org