Need Help: Fine Hair and Constant Breakage

General Naturalista talk, questions, and answers.
HonestlyUnbiased
How long have you been natural?: Transitioning 18 mth
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

Need Help: Fine Hair and Constant Breakage

Post by HonestlyUnbiased » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:05 am

Some Info...
I have been transitioning for 18 months now and I have 4b/4a type hair with a mixture of both fine and coarse hair. I don't hear many people talking about having to find ways to keep their fine hair from breaking constantly. It's like a rarity. All of my friends have coarse hair compared to mines and their hair can hold styles longer than mines. I know that I shouldn't be comparing my hair to theirs, but it's the only thing that I can go by since there aren't, from my knowledge, a lot of YouTubers that have fine hair. Plus, I'm the only one in the group that scalp shows at the crown of my head as if I was going bald in that section.
To Get To The Real Problem...
A couple of days ago I washed my hair in the shower and as usual I could hear and see my hair breakage. I wash my hair in four sections and make sure that I take my time detangling it. My hair sound like elastic rubber bands popping and when I look in the hand that I'm using to comb through it, I can see layers of my fine hair in between my fingers. I have no problem with my coarser hair, which is located on the sides and back of my head. My coarse hair is outgrowing my fine hair and I have not one clue on how to fix this problem. When I look at my scalp I can see short fine strands of hair that look as if I cut them or something.
Question...
What can I do to stop this? My hair is uneven, very thin, and short in the area where my fine hair is most pronounced.
Image...
Sorry for the bad quality
0527161130a-1.jpg
My hair in flat twists. I can only do five. >:(
0527161130a-1.jpg (759.37 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
HONESTLYUNCONSTITUTIONAL

Ariane Williams
Site Admin
How long have you been natural?: 10 years

Re: Need Help: Fine Hair and Constant Breakage

Post by Ariane Williams » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Have you tried finger detangling? It will be more gentle on your hair and since your hair is fine you may not need to even use a comb.
Ariane Williams
Editor in Chief
http://www.blacknaps.org

HonestlyUnbiased
How long have you been natural?: Transitioning 18 mth
What's your hair length?: Shoulder Length Hair

Post by HonestlyUnbiased » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:02 pm

I've tried that already. I'm thinking that I may need to change up my hair regimen or something. Either way, I'm going to have to fix it soon if I want my hair to be even.
HONESTLYUNCONSTITUTIONAL

Chalsey
How long have you been natural?: Since September 2014
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Post by Chalsey » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:20 pm

I would suggest a protein treatment. I have a mixture of fine and course hair in the literal sense lol. I had that same problem all over my head. Everytime I did something to my hair it'd break off and it sounded the way you just described, but I have that problem all over my hair. I decided to BC again. But good luck with your hair. Making your fine hair as strong as possible should help

GEMNaturals
How long have you been natural?: 4 years
What's your hair length?: Bra Strap Length Hair

Post by GEMNaturals » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:58 am

Yes, a protein treatment sounds like your solution. You can just add an egg to your deep conditioner if you'd like to go the natural route. I hope this helps!:)
:D ~Stay Beautiful!~ :D
GEM Naturals

➠➠GEM Naturals YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChT4AX ... i8Cs3bqFxQ

wizmo
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Post by wizmo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:41 am

Hi,

You can try a deep conditioning for your hair or a protein hair treatment. Protein treatment is very good for the hair.

COLCANGEE
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 9 years
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair

Post by COLCANGEE » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi Debra,

I guess on what exactly you mean by natural.... whether no chemicals or no heat!

If it's no chemicals you can try flat ironing or blow-drying it. I suspect from the title of this post ... need help: fine hair and constant breakage, that may be out.

It also depends on your hair texture. If it's fine like mine, certain hair products make my hair kinda straight. I can't even tell you a brand but some liquidy products work for me.

You could also try a hair-stretching method such as banding for a straighter look.

Cheers,
Colette

ccole0122
How long have you been natural?: 2 years
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily

Post by ccole0122 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:48 pm

Firstly, I need your whole entire hair routine. How often do you wash? Condition? Deep Condition? Protein Treatment? Protective Style? Do you use daily moisturizers? What brands of products do you use? How do you usually wear your hair? How do you detangle and how often? Do you wear a hair bonnet? Are you taking meds? All of these factors play into hair health. I know I sound like I have OCD, but I don't play with hair.
C. M. Cole ;)

Naturaltheia6617
How long have you been natural?: 6 years
What's your hair length?: Bra Strap Length Hair

Post by Naturaltheia6617 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:31 pm

Try to do a black tea or green tea rinse it works wonders and immediately you will notice the difference. Make sure you follow it up with a moisturizing deep conditioner. Also finger deranged and use black castor oil. Message the castor oil on your scalp at least 2 times a week. Make sure you also do protective styles or low maliptation hair styles.