Shape Versus Length

Post your latest hairstyles and get hairinspiration.
Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 11 years
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Shape Versus Length

Post by Cientxa » Fri May 26, 2017 8:07 pm

I am gearing up for summer with a new Memorial Day Weekend hairdo. I decided to section my hair into tiny twists to shape and layer my hair. I clipped only about a half inch overall but my shoulder length twists super shrunk afterwards to barely chin length.
The new shape and bouncy coils made up for the unexpected loss in length.
As a matter of fact, my compact new hair shape made me rethink length as a measure of success for my 2 year no comb/brush journey.
Why do we revere long flowing tresses as a standard in our hair culture? Short hair shape and texture should be something we OWN. Our natural hair is at its finest when it's styled and cut to complement the shape of our head and face and unique coily texture. I guess that's another topic entirely.
Anyway, I learned something new about product application with my new 'summer do'.
It is better to over do it with product when styling with 2-3 strand twists. Natural hair will find a way to soak up excess. And the nice part with over applying is that you will end up with a nice reserve layer of moisturization that will keep the frizzies at bay all day.

Lynne44
How long have you been natural?: 3 years
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily

Re: Shape Versus Length

Post by Lynne44 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:39 pm

I'm glad you mentioned over doing the products because I was told not to. My hair stays dry in some spots after I use products on my Twist outs. Thanks for the info🙏🏾👍🏾

Ariane Williams
Site Admin
How long have you been natural?: 10 years
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony

Post by Ariane Williams » Sat May 27, 2017 7:13 am

I agree sometimes I feel like stylist are afraid to add product. I understand product buildup isn't good but sometimes you have to slather more product on my hair. I recently did a big chop and the cut is really cute. But the stylist didn't put enough product in my hair so instead of defining my curls it looked more like a fro which is fine, but that wasn't the look I was going for. I ended up defining my curls on my own.
Ariane Williams
Editor in Chief
http://www.blacknaps.org

Angelads
How long have you been natural?: 3 weeks
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily

Post by Angelads » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:43 pm

I recently went natural and have no clue what to do after I wash it, I tried twisting, was OK first time, second time was frizzy,Help, not sure what kind of hair I have maybe kinky coily.

Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Post by Cientxa » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:06 am

Hi Angelads,
Welcome to the club! I remember the panic I felt every time I shampooed and it was up to me to get my hair in order after a lifetime of going to a beautician.
My processed ends were unpredictable, I ended up braiding my hair and wearing a wig many times. You definitely have to come up with a plan B for emergencies. But as my hair grew out, and my curl pattern emerged things started to turn around.
The hardest thing for me was figuring out what shampoo and rinse worked best on my hair. For twist outs I use a very mild "no poo" that minimizes shrinkage, an ACV rinse, and then follow with a leave in conditioner that will define my curl pattern and keep my hair hydrated most of the day. I reapply moisturizer to my hair as needed when my hair feels or looks dry. I love Aloe Vera gel for just about everything I do, rinse, shampoo, moisturizer.

Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Post by Cientxa » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:36 pm

I buy it at Walmart in the health section. It's more convenient and cost effective to purchase it than cultivate it since I use it in just about everything : homemade shampoo, daily hair spritzer, face mask, henna pack, etc.