No Comb or Brush Hair Styling

Post your latest hairstyles and get hairinspiration.
Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 9 years
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

No Comb or Brush Hair Styling

Post by Cientxa » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:49 pm

I have been comb and brush free for 15 months and do not see myself ever going back to using them on a daily basis for my natural hair. I have a very soft goat hair brush that I use for smoothing pulled back styles and a rattail comb for sectioning or parting only.
Does anyone have similar feelings about giving up utensils to maintain their natural hair.
I was sold after I got through my first comb free after shampoo detangle without flinching and saw the least amount of hair I had ever shed during a shampoo. My hair is thinning with age and the texture is finer and more porous. I feel that this technique is the perfect solution for dealing with my hair.

COLCANGEE
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair

Re: No Comb or Brush Hair Styling

Post by COLCANGEE » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi Cientxa,

15 months is a record! I have heard of and tried finger detangling but not no-utensils. Less manipulation usually means more growth. Has this strategy paid off for you??

Colette

Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Post by Cientxa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:21 am

Hello!
I can say that this technique has revolutionized the way I view natural hair care. You are correct, less hair manipulation results in more hair on your head and that is why I started my experiment in August 2015. It was easy the first time I styled my hair comb free, but a challenge to not reach for my trusted comb and brush on subsequent occasions. However, after I got through my second shampoo comb free I have not looked back. I can't use a comb in my hair anymore without feeling I am doing it harm by pulling and forcing the straight tines of a comb through its natural ziggy spirals. Nothing is more natural than using your hands to groom natural textured hair.

COLCANGEE
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
What's your hair type?: 3C - Curly Hair

Post by COLCANGEE » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:06 pm

Cientxa, thanks for sharing! I know what you mean when you talk about the good feeling running your fingers only through your hair gives you :)

Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Post by Cientxa » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:44 am

Since bringing my hand steamer out of retirement, I give myself a three minute steamer "treat" after applying a conditioner and then style. No Comb... No snaps, crackles, or pops! Much less spritzer needed.

Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Post by Cientxa » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:24 am

https://youtu.be/Fy0LdMTm6vw
This is a video of my no comb roll-up that I posted last Spring. I had not yet discovered rice vinegar and gel as the solution to a smooth lasting set.
My goal was to obtain a style that would not droop and frizz out over the day... this technique was just too labor intensive.

Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Post by Cientxa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:14 am

I have discovered that a 5 minute quick steam detangles and smooths my hair effortlessly.
So I have begun steaming as the first step to roller setting my hair after shampooing. And any time I style my hair.
I have high porosity hair but I need to use light oils with steaming: argan, avocado, almond. Coconut, castor, olive oil leave my hair and ends dry. It was as though they evaporated with the steam.
Once I figured out the heavy/light oil puzzle I decided to try a heavy duty sealer--Beeswax cream because petrolatum/vaseline did not do the job. Beeswax cream is AMAZING stuff. Curls did not turn frizzy by the end of the day. I am not washing and setting my hair every other day anymore. Once a week now.

ladee nina
Black Naps General
Black Naps General
How long have you been natural?: 3 years
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily

Post by ladee nina » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:52 pm

I've been comb free for almost a year and I have no regrets. I noticed that ALL of the 4c YouTube naturalistas that have reached mid back length or longer, finger detangled at some point in their journey, even if they don't still do it now.

I've tried all different types of combs, plastic, wooden and horn and I always had the same results. Little pieces of broken hairs everywhere. My coarse, dense, high porosity hair just can't take the stress of combs no matter how wide the teeth may be.

I have retained so much length in the last year and what I thought was unruly 4c with no defined curl pattern that refused to clump has morphed into this thick mane of hair with beautiful clusters of random coils. I also used kimmaytube's method of recycling parts and my hair now falls into its designated sections without me having to do much manipulating.

My go to styles are two strand twists and braids that serve as low manipulation/protective styles that are easy to keep moisturized and can morph into beautiful out styles that can be worn for a few days before re-moisturizing and tucking away again. I keep my hair routine extremely simple, I'm the definition of a lazy natural but it works for me. People often remark on how much my hair has grown and they're always shocked when I tell them I haven't combed it in nearly a year.

I understand that the comb-free life isn't for everyone as it is time consuming to do it correctly and requires a great deal of patience, especially at first but I encourage all my 4c sisters who want to grow their hair to long lengths to try it for a month. You might be surprised at the results.

scarlett5678
What's your hair length?: Mid Back Length

Post by scarlett5678 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:22 am

Cientxa wrote:I have been comb and brush free for 15 months and do not see myself ever going back to using them on a daily basis for my natural hair. I have a very soft goat hair brush that I use for smoothing pulled back styles and a rattail comb for sectioning or parting only.
Does anyone have similar feelings about giving up utensils to maintain their natural hair.
I was sold after I got through my first comb free after shampoo detangle without flinching and saw the least amount of hair I had ever shed during a shampoo. My hair is thinning with age and the texture is finer and more porous. I feel that this technique is the perfect solution for dealing with my hair.
Well, 15 months...is quite a good record you maintained...I have a confession: I comb my hair literally once a year. Yep. ONCE. I only comb my hair for my natural hair anniversaries.

Cientxa
Black Naps General
Black Naps General

Post by Cientxa » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:15 am

scarlett5678 wrote:
Cientxa wrote:I have been comb and brush free for 15 months and do not see myself ever going back to using them on a daily basis for my natural hair. I have a very soft goat hair brush that I use for smoothing pulled back styles and a rattail comb for sectioning or parting only.
Well, 15 months...is quite a good record you maintained...I have a confession: I comb my hair literally once a year. Yep. ONCE. I only comb my hair for my natural hair anniversaries.
When I switched from the comb, it was like I had literally discovered a secret that had been lost to our culture over time. So imagine my surprise to find out that so many natural women were doing the same thing--it's just a progression that natural hair leads you to.