Introduction

Introduce yourself to the Black Naps community. Share your hair story, your questions, your struggles, let it all out here!

Moderator: Ariane Williams

DivaLionHeart
How long have you been natural?: 12 years
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony
What's your hair length?: Medium Length Hair

Re: Introduction

Postby DivaLionHeart » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:07 pm

Hello ladies. My name is Aisha.

I have been natural for about 12 1/2 years now, but just recently started taking care of my own hair I went to the hairdresser to get it done. For years I wore sew-ins because it was easy, but then realized that I knew nothin about my hair. So this summer I decided to manage my own hair. I've learned a lot from watching YouTube. I use the LOC method. I'm currently using SheaMoisture products (Raw Shea), TGIN daily moisturizer, and different oils (Jamaican Castor Oil, Baobab Oil, Argan Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Taminu Oil).

My problem is that I take a lot of medication. I am heart transplant recipient, with high blood pressure, hypothyroid, and recently diabetes. So these all take a toll on my hair. I think it's the healthy it's every been because I am caring for it myself. However I want to try and grow it out more. It's growing, but I find that I have recently seeing a lot of shedding. It's hard because most of the naturals I know and see on YouTube don't seem to be on any medications such as myself, so I'm just trying to get help to see what others do to grow when on medication.

So glad to be part of a hair community. Peace and hair grease. Love love!!
najave59
How long have you been natural?: 5years
What's your hair type?: 4C - Kinky Coily

Postby najave59 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:10 am

i have found that steaming my hair, keeping it moisturized with water, leave-in conditioner and oils has been beneficial to my hair health. many medications that you make take can prevent the hair from thriving because of what they contain. i would suggest that you steam your hair at least once or twice a week. i use a regular hair dryer but i steam a towel or (in my case) a hair turban and use a plastic cap and conditioning cap. then sit under the dryer for me (at least 30 minutes). i also spray oil on before the steam. i realized once i started to steam my hair the difference in the texture and it started to grow.
tanasha33
How long have you been natural?: a year

Postby tanasha33 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:48 pm

Hey everyone

My name is Tanasha I've started going natural around last year the end of last year. So it's been a year for me just need help on defining my curl pattern and maintaining my hair.
Ariane Williams
Site Admin
How long have you been natural?: 10 years
What's your hair length?: Armpit Length Hair

Postby Ariane Williams » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:51 am

tanasha33 wrote:Hey everyone

My name is Tanasha I've started going natural around last year the end of last year. So it's been a year for me just need help on defining my curl pattern and maintaining my hair.

Hello Tanasha,

Welcome! :) I highly recommend you check out our beginner's guide, as it covers these topics. See this page: http://blacknaps.org/beginners-guide-natural-hair/

If you are trying to define your natural curls I highly recommend using a gel product for the most definition. Make sure you apply it to your hair section by section and rake your hands through until you see the definition you are looking for.

You can also manipulate curl definition with braid outs, twist outs, bantu knot outs and roller sets.
Ariane Williams
Editor in Chief
http://www.blacknaps.org
Africascrown
How long have you been natural?: 4years

Postby Africascrown » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:43 am

Hello: I am Africascrown, I have been natural for four years now. My hair is now armpit... it's now stuck there. I am looking for information on gaining more length and styling help. Most of the time my hair is in a bun. Will post photo soon...
Lwills82
How long have you been natural?: Transitioning

Postby Lwills82 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Lakia I've been thinking about going natural for about.....2 months now. I finally decided that i will go forward with it, sooooo i need help on how to start it. I pin curled my hair and i do like it, it looks very natural to me. I want to know what i need to get/buy for hair to grow and also to keep it soft. I'm serious about going natural this time ( yes I've thought about it before, but changed my mind). I need your help, thanx in advance
Trice91
How long have you been natural?: 2 weeks
What's your hair type?: 4B - Kinky Cottony

Postby Trice91 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi all!

My name is Patrice is this is my second post here.

(LOl I clicked around so fast and didn't see the messaged about introducing myself until after my first topic).

I had been relaxed since I can remember. I use to have healthy long and thick relaxed hair when I was young, but the older I got, the more it broke and thinned out. In 2014 I chose to start stretching my relaxer instead of one every month. (Bad habit, I know). In 2015, I only had 2 relaxers. It wasn't until 2016, when I chose to let go of relaxers for as long as I could.

I just recently cut my relaxed hair off after transitioning (though I wasn't planning on going natural, was trying to stretch out relaxer really) since Jan of this year. My hair had gotten so tangled the second of of this year that my shedding had gotten so bad I would have huge clumps of hair everywhere. My floor would be covered in hair. It was had to take that my hair had gotten so bad. After a quick decision I had my niece cut my hair because I know I could never do it myself. I was shocked but not upset. Short hair was scary though.

I am struggling with taking care due to dryness and friz, but hopefully this forum will help me learn more about my hair and one day get it together on a steady track to healthy hair.
scordrey1215
How long have you been natural?: 4 years

Postby scordrey1215 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi my name is Sierra. I have been on t his natural journey for 4 years and it has been a struggle but i refuse to go back to relaxing. I hope I can meet someone who can help me get this hair together.
ccole0122
How long have you been natural?: 2 years

Postby ccole0122 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm Carla and I have been natural for two years. I love my hair as it is will not return to a relaxer; however, I did enjoy the ease of styling relaxed hair....Anyways, my passion is enlightening hair stylists that use terrible "techniques" on our hair. I am personally sick of stylists not knowing how to protect curly/coily hair, relaxed or natural. I am natural because I became tired of letting others do my hair the wrong way. Enter Rant: Why would you detangle my hair while it is bone dry? And use a rat tail comb? Why would you yank the comb through my wet hair? You know that hair is the weakest when wet, or do you? Why are you braiding my hair so tight that it could last until next year? Why are you doing three heads while doing mine? Why did you charge twenty for a deep conditioner when you don't even know how to detangle? Why did you give me a bob when I asked for a trim? Why won't you let me face the mirror while styling? Why am I still trying to be polite sitting in this chair???? Why do you get smart and act like the hair god when I politely make one small suggestion or request? And your hair isn't even on point???? Why is the white salon experience completely different from the black salon experience most of the time...End of Rant. I am sick of situations like these. I want hair health education and customer service to be mandatory for all stylists. If you don't know how to do natural hair or you don't have the patience, say it. Just say it and let us leave. PLEASE. Also, :cry: stylists you get paid for the quality of service you provide.
C. M. Cole ;)
Africascrown
How long have you been natural?: 4years

Postby Africascrown » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Hi; Colcangee,
Thank you..read your message. Congrats to you also. Hope you will be able to read this message. I am not able to direct reply to you as of yet. Congrats again.
Africascrown

Return to “Introductions: Share Your Hair Story”